Working with objects dynamically

Hi guys,

I was wondering if the following scenario is possible.

At runtime, I am able to read the schema from my Realm, here is how it looks like (the custom object create by me) :

Person {
		name {
			type = string;
			objectClassName = (null);
			linkOriginPropertyName = (null);
			indexed = NO;
			isPrimary = NO;
			array = NO;
			optional = NO;
		}
		age {
			type = int;
			objectClassName = (null);
			linkOriginPropertyName = (null);
			indexed = NO;
			isPrimary = NO;
			array = NO;
			optional = NO;
		}
	}

Would be possible to work with Realm by using this information ? Meaning all that CRUD operations.

Thanks for the help!

That’s not really a schema per se, that’s an object. In this case is a Person object with two properties, name (a string) and age (an int).

It’s not a Realm object and would not be managed or stored in Realm.

A Managed Realm object would look like this

class Person: Object {
    @objc dynamic var name = ""
    @objc dynamic var age = 0
}

Are you looking to dynamically access Person properties when they are not known?

let myPerson = Person()
    let personMirror = Mirror(reflecting: myPerson)
    for prop in personMirror.children {
        let label = prop.label
        let value = prop.value
        print(label, value) //prints the property and value of each Person property
    }

It that’s not it, can you clarify what you are asking?

Thanks for the reply.

I would like, without defining the class Person to create a Person object and add it to Realm, or to update an existing one or to read one.

Basically I know what properties Person has, but only at runtime, so I can’t create the actual class in advance.

Realm requires objects to be defined in order for them to be managed. There are ways around that but it goes against the grain. It seems a little odd you would want to create managed objects on the fly - those would be potentially be property-less objects with no defined structure and no real way to manage, query or work with the data.

Perhaps if you explain your use case, there may be better solutions.