Synced Fine-Grained Permissions and Local Realm – what is the best practice for models?

In my solution there are 2 types of users, fist only using Local Realm, second using Synced Realm. Users can change their type from one to another.

Synced realm using Object-level Fine-Grained Permissions, so example model class is:

public class Dog : RealmObject
{
 public string Name { get; set; }

public IList<Permission> Permissions { get; }
}

The problem is that I can’t use the same model for Local Realm, because of the RealmException

Property ‘Dog.Permissions’ of type ‘array’ has unknown object type ‘__Permission’

I understand the reason but what is the best way to solve it? Do I need to create local version of each model class, or there is a better way?

@Radek Local non-synced Realms do not have a concept of permissions - that is for sharing data using our Sync protocol. When you share data - you need a way to restrict the pool of data to a smaller subset. I am not sure if we ever considered this use case. Why do you need this?

@ianward Thank you for your answer. In my case, I don’t need permissions for non-synced Realm. I just need design advice. Am I right, that the best way is to have interface and separate class for synced and non-synced Realm? So for example

public interface IDog
{
 string Name { get; set; }
}

public class SyncDog : RealmObject, IDog
{

public IList<Permission> Permissions { get; }
}

public class LocalDog : RealmObject, IDog
{
}

Or maybe there is any better idea?

Following the question, I found that you created very useful script (https://realm.io/docs/cookbook/js/local-realm-to-synced/) but if I’m not wrong, it works only with Path-level Permissions. Do you have maybe something similar (the best would be c# version) to copy from non-synced Realm to fine-grained permissions synced Realm (and back)? I can imagine that in this case it will be more complicated because permissions information and different schema but maybe it is already solved.

@ianward I noticed that in real life situation (with relationships) this idea with interfaces do not works because of the error

Fody/RealmWeaver: SyncShip.Captain is a ‘Repository.ICaptian’ which is not yet supported.

It seems to be impossible to use interfaces and it is necessary to have separate classes for sync and non-sync Realm. Is there any way to get around this problem without tons of duplicated code?

You can add the __Permission object to your non-synced Realm’s schema. It’s excluded by default, but there’s nothing to stop you from adding it:

var config = new RealmConfiguration // <-- non-synced config
{
    ObjectClasses = new[]
    {
        typeof(ClassPermission),
        typeof(Permission),
        typeof(PermissionRole),
        typeof(PermissionUser),
        typeof(RealmPermission),
        // Rest of your app's classes
    }
};

You don’t need this for the sync version of your Realm because we’ll add them automatically.

@nirinchev Thank you very much. It works like a charm.