Partial Sync / Reference Realm Status

Hi there!
We’re working on an iOS app (objective-c) with a web front-end using GraphQL. We’ve had pretty good luck so far (with your help), however I’m a bit confused as to the current state of Partial Sync / Reference Realms.

First off, what’s the difference? Specifically, we’re looking for fine-grained permissions.

Secondly, I found this issue which seems to indicate that reference realms are only accessible to admin users. Am I correct in assuming this is a security issue?

To go along with that, I found another topic (which I can’t post since I’m a new user) which indicates that reference realms are still in testing.

So what’s the current state of reference realms, partial sync, and fine-grained permissions? Are they workable? What workarounds are required?

P.S. These questions all started when I tried to connect from obj-c I (using .isPartial = YES). I currently always get an error message:

HTTP response: 71aa7767-e822-440d-8cc8-c19519b37fde {“type”:“https://realm.io/docs/object-server/problems/invalid-realm-type",“title”:"The type of the Realm file was invalid.”,“status”:400,“code”:619}

Here’s that second topic:

@arsinio

First off, what’s the difference?

Partial Realms are created from a reference realm by executing client query-based sync. If you are looking to use fine-grained permissions you will need to use query-based sync

reference realms are only accessible to admin users.

This is a special case when using the GraphQL-Realm npm plugin. We will resolve this in the future. You can connect with normal Swift or Obj-c APIs to a reference realm with a regular user without admin priviledges.

Query-based sync has been out of beta for a while and will be our recommended way to sync going forward.

I currently always get an error message:

This is because you are attempting to connect to a full realm with a partial sync query. Click on the Realm in Studio and Click the upgrade button and you should now be able to connect.

@ianward
Thanks for the clarification!!!

However, I’m afraid I’m still having problems connecting to the reference realm using a regular user…maybe I’m doing something wrong…

Here is how I’m trying to open the realm:

RLMSyncCredentials* credentials = [RLMSyncCredentials credentialsWithUsername:@"regularUser" password:@"----" register:NO];
    [RLMSyncUser logInWithCredentials:credentials
                        authServerURL:[NSURL URLWithString:[NSString stringWithFormat:@"https://%@", SERVER_URL]]
                         onCompletion:^(RLMSyncUser * _Nullable syncUserIn, NSError * _Nullable errorIn) {

NSURL *syncServerURL = [NSURL URLWithString:[NSString stringWithFormat:@"realms://%@/%@", SERVER_URL, @"testUserInfo"]];
                             RLMRealmConfiguration *config = [RLMRealmConfiguration defaultConfiguration];
                             config.syncConfiguration = [[RLMSyncConfiguration alloc] initWithUser:syncUserIn realmURL:syncServerURL];
                             config.syncConfiguration.isPartial = YES;

[RLMRealm asyncOpenWithConfiguration:config
                                                    callbackQueue:dispatch_get_main_queue()
                                                         callback:^(RLMRealm * _Nullable realm, NSError * _Nullable error) {
                                                             NSLog(@"here");
                                                         }];
                         }];

On the iOS side of things, my breakpoint @ “here” always gives me the following error:

Error Domain=io.realm.sync Code=4 “Operation canceled” UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Operation canceled, statusCode=89}

In Realm Studio logs, I see the following:

127.0.0.1 - GET /realms/files/%2FtestUserInfo?shouldCreate=true&realmType=full HTTP/1.1 200 84 - 0.753 ms

HTTP response: 2e9a1a4d-5caa-4e1b-8b86-4b0c209ce7df {“type”:“https://realm.io/docs/object-server/problems/invalid-realm-type",“title”:"The type of the Realm file was invalid.”,“status”:400,“code”:619}

Of particular interest is the realmType=full…no matter what I’ve tried on the iOS side of things, I cannot get that to change. For reference my Realm is definitely a “reference” Realm, created and upgraded through Realm Studio.

@arsinio Can you reveal System Realms, select __admin Realm and then find your Realm you are trying to connect to? What does it say for RealmType ?

@ianward
Turns out this was my fault…after thinking about it for a while I realized that i hadn’t updated my Realm Cocoapod for a while…I was still at 3.4.0. Running pod update seemed to fix the problem!

This may be a question for a separate thread, but how long do query subscriptions persist (both on the device and the server)? The app we’re building has a significant offline component and it’s important that we be able to operate without an internet connection for extended periods of time. Can I subscribe to my “user data” and operate off that locally for a week or so? How do I unsubscribe to a “named” subscription? Also, do subscriptions to a given object also “sync” linked objects or do I need to subscribe to those object independently?

@arsinio The subscription is persisted to disk on the device so you can use it offline and linked objects are automatically pulled in - the rest of your questions can be answered here
https://docs.realm.io/platform/using-synced-realms/syncing-data#using-query-based-synchronization

@ianward
Thanks for the link! I’ve definitely read through this already, but some things aren’t apparent to me:

• Linked objects are automatically pulled in…what about LinkingObjects (the other direction)?
  • How do subscriptions operate between “sessions” of the app? Let’s say I use the app online (subscribing to my “user data”). Close the app (without invalidateing my subscriptions) then start the app in offline mode. Is my “user data” still available?
  • Assuming the previous use-case, do I ever need to invalidate / unsubscribe from my subscriptions?

@arsinio

what about LinkingObjects (the other direction)?

No - only forward links are pulled in

How do subscriptions operate between “sessions” of the app?

The subscription is persisted to disk and will work offline

do I ever need to invalidate / unsubscribe from my subscriptions?

That depends on your usecase - when you unsubscribe the data in that subscription is removed from your device.