Enforce Referential Integrity

I want to ensure every Job has a valid JobType.

public class JobType : RealmObject
{
    [PrimaryKey]
    public string JobTypeId { get; set; } = Guid.NewGuid().ToString();

[Backlink(nameof(Job.JobType))]
    internal IQueryable<Job> Jobs { get; }
}

public class Job : RealmObject
{
    [PrimaryKey]
    public string JobId { get; set; } = Guid.NewGuid().ToString();
    public JobType JobType { get; set; } 
}

However this still allows a Job.JobType = null. I could initialise JobType, then use the setter to prevent it from being null. Does Realm have a mechanism to ensure referential integrity?

@Nosl We don’t support this at this time

Given Realm does not enforce referential integrity, how should we design to enforce referential integrity? I’ve tried enforcing referential integrity in the property setter like this:

internal class Customer : RealmObject
{
    [PrimaryKey]
    public string CustomerId { get; set; }

[Backlink(nameof(Order.Customer))]
    internal IQueryable<Order> Orders { get; }
}
internal class Order : RealmObject
{
    [PrimaryKey]
    public string OrderId { get; set; }
    private Customer _Customer;
    public Customer Customer
    {
        get => _Customer;
        set => _Customer = value ?? throw new System.ArgumentNullException("Customer cannot be null for Order");
    }
}

On startup this throws

Schema validation failed due to the following errors:

• Property ‘Order.Customer’ declared as origin of linking objects property ‘Customer.Orders’ does not exist

Using Realm Browser I am able to see that none of the Orders in the test database has a null Customer, so why do we get this error?

The actual name of the property in the Realm database is _Customer, so the backlinks property needs to point to that (Customer is unknown to Realm because it’s not an automatic property). You have two options:

1. Update the Backlink attribute and tell it to use _Customer. Since this is a private property, you’ll need to explicitly type the string value like: Backlink("_Customer"). _Customer also needs to be a property, not a field for Realm to pick it up.

or

1. Add a MapTo attribute on the _Customer property:
[MapTo(nameof(Customer)]
private Customer _Customer { get; set; }

Thank you @nirinchev however changing the Customer property on the Order class to this

[MapTo(nameof(Customer))]
public Customer Customer
{
    get => _Customer;
    set => _Customer = value ?? throw new System.ArgumentNullException("Customer cannot be null for Order");
}

gives this error
Attribute 'MapTo' is not valid on this declaration type. It is only valid on 'class, property, indexer' declarations.

Yes, as I mentioned, you need to make _Customer an automatic property to be picked up by Realm.

but how then do we do ensure the property is not null?

Well, it’s a private property, so you wouldn’t be able to set it, except when using the Customer property which does the validation.

So on the Order class we have

public Customer Customer
{
    get => _Customer;
}

and on the Customer class

[Backlink("_Customer")]
internal IQueryable<Order> Orders { get; }

Does that look right?

Apologies @nirinchev I was being a bit obtuse there. I missed that you had indicated both public and private setters. That seems to work. Thanks for your help.

One hopefully minor point. When I decorate the Customer property of the Order class

[MapTo(nameof(Customer))]
private Customer _Customer { get; set; }
public Customer Customer
{
    get => _Customer;
}

I get a successful build but a warning:

Fody/RealmWeaver: Order.Customer is not an automatic property but its type is a RealmObject which normally indicates a relationship.

Is that something to worry about?

No, that’s fine - we added this warning because people sometimes assume they can write any complex property and have it persisted into Realm. Since you’re doing that on purpose, you can ignore the warning.