Cloud Platform Query-Based Sync Performance

I think I understand the lazy loading of data for ROS locally, but I am unclear if the same applies on Cloud Platform while using query-based sync.

Let’s say we have a hypothetical nested object hierarchy like Country->State->County->City->Person. Each is a Realm object with a 1:N IList of its children. A User is associated with a Country. When the User logs-in, we do a query-based sync to load the info for their Country. Does Realm then load the entire object hierarchy below that country at that time? Or is that lazily loaded?

I would be fine with Country, State, County, and even City being pre-loaded. But I do not want every Person in the Country pre-loaded. The concern is obviously memory usage, load performance, etc. Should we break the forward relationship between City and Person? Is this a non-issue because of lazy loading? Is there some entirely different way to handle the situation?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

The objects and relationships are a little unclear (to me). Can you provide an example of your objects and their relationships and then how a ‘user’ is loaded (I assume that’s the same thing as a ‘Person’?). The answer will depend a lot on hour these objects ‘see’ each other.

@bsohl So lazy loading and memory mapping apply to accessing the realm on-disk whether it is synced or non-synced these techniques apply in both uses. See here for in depth talk -

Query-based sync (or full sync) is a method for creating that realm on the local device’s disk (at which point the realm behaviors the same as if it was non-synced).

In query-based sync ALL child objects are pulled in via forward or direct links when you make a subscription on the parent. In your case I would suggest either inverting the relationship OR you can use backlinks to refer to a Person object from a City. In this way you can pull in all of the Location information and then create a separate subscription for an individual Person.

https://docs.realm.io/sync/using-synced-realms/syncing-data#query-based-synchronization

Thanks, that’s the info I needed. We will probably just cut the forward link from City->Person and keep just the backlink from City<-Person. The rest of the bi-directional links we will probably keep as-is. It is SO convenient to be able to just subscribe to our root object and then have everything down the entire object tree sync’ed auto-magically.

Is it a problem to subscribe to x00k elements? Can’t realm manage that number?

I have a similar issue but i would like to have all my data stored offine on the device. I tought that Realm could manage that number.

@au.petrone That’s fine - the sync time scales linearly with the amount of objects and the complexity of your queries. So based on your requirements you can tune the query/subscription.

@ianward 'm using react native and I have two big problems:

1. When I subscribe to a collection with reference and linking objects (direct links and backlinks) of approximately 1.5M (parents and children) of objects my App crashes

2. When I create those objects directly on the device the write operations became very slow (5-6s)

Plus I use listeners for changes on those objects for the UI updates